The Bhagirath Singh Early Career Award in Infection and Immunity
This award was established to honour the outstanding work of III's inaugural Scientific Director, Dr. Bhagirath Singh. To recognize the excellence of research being done in Canada, this prize ($25,000) will be awarded annually to a new investigator (under five years as New Investigator) in the field of Infection and Immunity with the highest ranking (by percent (%) rank) in the Fall or Spring Open Operating Grants competitions. This award is a supplemental grant to support research, and has to be used according to CIHR policy for Grants and Awards. The award is not a personal award and is non-renewable. The inaugural Award was given in 2010.
Next period of eligibility: year 2013
Next expected funding start date: April 2014
- The candidate must be a recipient of a CIHR Open Operating Grant from the March 1st or September 15 competitions of a same calendar year;
- The funded research must align with III mandate;
- The candidate must have chosen III as the primary Institute on their Open Operating Grant Proposal application;
- The candidate must have started her/his independent investigator position no more than five years from the date of his/her CIHR Open Operating Grant Proposal application.
The award will be given to the recipient of a grant from the open competition, under five years as New Investigator, with the highest ranking (by percent (%) rank) in the Fall or Spring Open Operating Grants competitions, and III selected as the primary Institute. CIHR's staff will provide the list of III grantees and will determine with institute staff the eligibility of the recipient. In the case of a tie, the award will be split among the finalists.
Winners of previous years
- Dr. Thomas Martin Schmeing (2010)
- Dr. Tara J. Moriarty (2011)
For questions on this award, contact:
Serge Desnoyers, Ph.D.
CIHR-Institute of Infection and Immunity
2705, Laurier blvd, Room TR-61A
Québec (Québec) G1V 4G2
Tel: 418-656-4141 x46251