Science and Technology Awareness Network (STAN)
CIHR is the principal financial supporter of the Science and Technology Awareness Network (STAN), providing funding for annual conferences, membership campaigns and website development. CIHR also facilitates communication and collaborations between STAN members and the CIHR research community.
The Science and Technology Awareness Network enhances the profile and influence of the science and technology education and public awareness sector. STAN is a member- driven organization comprising over 150 public and private sector institutions, including government ministries, school boards, corporations, museums, science centres and individuals.
STAN has a number of basic goals:
- Raise the profile of the sector, its members and activities
- Provide a common voice before governments and industry
- Promote public awareness of the importance of science and technology
- Provide a forum for network members to communicate, collaborate, and partner
- Develop common standards of measurement for the sector
Additionally, STAN has set out the following objectives:
- Host a national conference to increase collaboration and networking among members
- Broaden geographical representation by increasing national membership of up to 50% in 2006
- Enhance the member-oriented website
- Increase the funding available to support the sector and its activities