What We DoOur strategic priorities and research initiatives are in harmony with CIHR's four strategic directions, which are:
- building Canada's international leadership through national excellence in health research
- integrating the various disciplines of the health research spectrum, including life sciences, natural and social sciences, engineering, mathematics and the humanities;
- improving the health status of vulnerable populations
- strengthening health research and the health system in the genomics era
We have identified five priorities that will create and sustain a context for innovation:
- To foster and develop a capacity for innovation in research in neurosciences, mental health and addiction that will strengthen Canada's health research milieu in these fields and enhance its competitive position on the international scene. The four areas of focus are:
- Strategic initiatives
- Research in emerging areas or where unique opportunities are arising
- Research in bioethics
- To pursue and sustain collaborative partnerships that will enable the INMHA to share, develop, obtain or leverage resources required to accomplish its mandate.
- To promote linkage and exchange between the research community, the municipal, provincial and national levels of decision-makers, as well as users of research results, including non-governmental and volunteer health organizations, through structured efforts aimed at knowledge translation.
- To develop the INMHA's presence on the international stage through joint research, training and funding initiatives with scientific and research funding agencies in other countries.
- To establish an organizational and an operational structure that will enable the INMHA to accomplish its goals. The three components of the structure are:
- Effective governance and accountability;
- Health and research data and information.